Friday, December 01, 2006

Borat - Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

For a change of pace, I thought I would review Borat - Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which I saw last night with a friend.

I really don't like throwing around the term politically correct. I would prefer everyone just use some manners and not get their panties in a wod over stupid stuff. That being said, Borat is probably the most politically incorrect movie I've ever seen. Hysterically so, but still. The movie is not for the faint of heart, stomach or mind as Borat and the people he interviews tend to offend all of these at once.

Thinking back, it's really a sad state of affairs the American public is in and this aspect is laid out for everyone who watches the movie to see. From the New Yorkers who either a.) run from Borat when he tries to greet them, or b.) threaten to kick his ass to the old rodeo leader who blatantly bashes homosexuals and Muslims. He even goes so far as to advise Borat to shave his mustache so he'll blend in better. Then there are the fraternity guys who disrespect (and I hate that word also) women which such vigor that it will be a miracle for them to ever find a wife. I've heard that those dipicted are in an uproar over the unfavorable light with which they are shown, but really, they made asses out of themselves with their close minded comments.

In my opinion, the only people who have a right to be offended is the residents of Kazakhstan. Borat portrayed them as backwards, incestual, animal beaters and more.

The humourous parts were so over the top, I couldn't help but laugh. Imagine a tall skinny man and a short fat man fighting. Now imagine them naked and throwing each other around a hotel room. Some aspects I laughed at just for the shock value of how prejediced the general public appears to be.

Overall, I recommend the movie. (well, maybe not to my mother.) The pure in-your-faceness of it screams loud and clear and could be a real eye opener.

No comments: