Thursday, November 02, 2006

When Crickets Cry

As much slack as he sometimes gets from book critics, I just can't resist Stephen King. I own almost all of his novels, so last night when I saw Lisey's Story I had to pick it up for my trip this weekend. Expect that review in the near future, as I devour his novels rather quickly. But for now, I present When Crickets Cry

When Crickets Cry, a novel by Charles Martin, opens when Reese, a man who is obviously running from something, meets a little girl, Annie, who is suffering from a heart condition and is in desperate need of a transplant. Through flashbacks, we learn of Reese's undying love for his wife, who has passed away from a condition similar to Annie's.

The two main characters find an immediate connection and a heartwarming and heartbreaking friendship grows. Annie's will to live life to the fullest is inspirational, while the demons Reese faces from his past are recognizable by most adults, although his are on a grander scale.

We learn through the story and flashbacks that Reese is the one surgeon who could save Annie should a heart become available. God is mentioned throughout, and it may seem overwhelming to some, but even those that don't see themselves as religious will enjoy the story. I think most people have been shaken to the core at some period in their life, and this is story of how one man overcomes his ghosts to help a little girl who desperately needs a chance to grow old.

No comments: